Introduction to Geographic Information Systems with QGIS and GRASS
Thursday, February 28 2019 09:30AM-04:30PM to Friday 1 March 2019 09:30-16:30
McGill University - McIntyre building.
Language of the workshop: Français
Members of the QCBS, properly registered on the QCBS website, can attend this workshop free of charge. Non-QCBS members will be allowed to register if enough places are available and will be charged 50$ (for students) or 100$ (for non-students) per day of attendance (payable online prior to, or on the first day of the workshop). For more information, please contact Guillaume Larocque. By registering, you confirm that you will attend the workshop. If you registered but can’t attend, please warn the lecturer at least 3 days before the workshop.
Topics that will be covered during the workshop:
- Basic concepts in geographic information systems.
- Reference systems.
- Vector and raster analysis.
- Strengths and weaknesses of QGIS. When (not) to use it.
- Installation of QGIS.
- Basics of QGIS: importing maps, digitizing, vector capabilities, raster capabilities, database management, extensions.
- Basic exercise showing the use of QGIS for data analysis.
- Spatial queries.
- Vector-raster conversion.
- More advanced analyses.
- Intro to GRASS.
- More advanced exercises using GRASS
Instructions for participants
- No prior knowledge of GIS is required to attend this workshop.
- You will need a laptop for the workshop. If you don’t own a laptop, you may be able to work in a team of two with another participant.
Please visit the French page for registration