You want to make scientific presentations with a strong impact?
How to write a scientific manuscript for publication?
QCBS is offering two workshops
You want to make scientific presentations with a strong impact? You wish you felt comfortable speaking in front of a group and want to get better before your next seminar? If you answered yes, then this workshop is for you. This workshop is aimed at early-career scientists willing to improve their presentation skills in the context of seminars or symposiums.
We will adress various aspects of oral communication during this workshop:
- Connecting with an audience.
- Understanding the elements of rhetoric.
- Structuring a talk.
- Creating well-designed slides.
- Understanding body language.
- Handling stress and tough situations.
Your analyses are done, your results agree you’re your initial hyposthese (or not!) and you are ready to publish your results in a scientific journal ? How I am supposed to do this ?
This workshop is design to young scientists (MSc and PhD students) who want to increase their writing skills and better structure their research
- Different aspects of writing communication écrite will be addressed during the workshop :
- Avoid the white page syndrome
- How to prepare a good/efficient draft – the key steps
- How to get your co-authors involved
- Find the relevant journal to publish your research
- Understand the peer-review process
- How to publish your results to a broad audience even when your sample size is small !
Writing communication: Friday 27 January 2017 – 9h00 to 16h30 – Pavillon Marie Victorin (here), room D-201 – Montréal
Writing communication: Friday 01 December 2016 de 9h00 à 16h30. – Université du Québec a Rimouski – Salle G-320
Oral Communication: Thursday 24 November 2016 de 9h00 à 16h30. – Université du Québec a Rimouski – Salle G-320
Instructions to participants
- You need to bring your own laptop to the workshop. If you don’t have one, it will be possible to work in team of two people.
- For oral communication, you should have a presentation (or the beginning of a presentation). Several exercises will be aimed at enhancing your own presentation material.
- You need a presentation software installed on your laptop (e.g. PowerPoint, Keynote, Impress…).
For the writing communication workshop, try to bring a draft of a manuscript or preliminary results, we will discuss altogether the better strategy for publication.
Next workshops will be given in French. QCBS members can attend this workshop for free after registering (see below). Non-QCBS members can attend this workshop, but will be charged a registration fee (50$ for students or 100$ for others). Payment needs to be made before the workshop. For more information, please contact Pierre Legagneux. To register, please fill the form below. By registering, you confirm that you will attend the workshop. If you registered but can’t attend, please warn the lecturer as soon as possible.