Student excellence award applications must contain the following items:
Cover letter (maximum 1 page)
Make sure your cover letter includes the following information: First and last name, academic institution, email address, name of your graduate program. Your letter should be short and provide a summary of the accompanying documentation.
Applicants should provide scanned or electronic versions of up to date transcript(s) of university grades. Transcripts can be included as part of the PDF file.
CV (1-3 pages)
Note that CVs of award recipients will be posted on the QCBS website. Your CV should follow the following format:
- A contact section including your academic institution logo, a photo of yourself, and the name of your supervisor
- An education section including your past and present education programs with dates attended
- A research section briefly describing your research project
- A publication section (if applicable)
Description of research (maximum ½ page)
Please indicate the title of your graduate research project even if preliminary. Briefly describe how the award will help you achieve your research goals and contribute to you professional development. Please include latitude/longitude coordinates (6 decimal degrees) for the place the award will be used.
Relevance to QCBS research program (maximum ½ page)
Briefly describe how your work relates to the QCBS research structure (axes and themes).
Use of funds (maximum 1 page)
Briefly explain why you are you requesting an award. If you are requesting an award to attend a meeting, provide the following information:
- Meeting title
- Name of the society organizing the meeting
- Scope of meeting (national or international)
- Meeting location
- Meeting date and duration
- Abstract: title, short summary of presentation, authors, affiliations (please remember to include QCBS membership among affiliations)
If you are requesting an award to participate in a training/internship program, provide the following information:
- Name of institution offering training/internship
- Location of training/internship
- Date and duration of training/internship
- For training workshop, provide overview of course material
- For internship, provide details about lab and supervisor, including contact information (when relevant)
If you are requesting an award to support a training experience within an inter-institution field or lab project, provide the following information:
- Project title
- The training component and the scientific support you will benefit from in a lab and/or from a field research project
- Details about lab and supervisor, including contact information
- Description of why this project is being conducted among multiple institutions
Estimated budget (maximum 1 page)
The budget should be a table showing all the costs of the project for which you are applying for funding. Please use the following table as a template.
Cost per unit
Number of units
Amount requested from QCBS
Other funding sources (one column per funding source)
List of previous QCBS awards received
Please list any QCBS award you have received in the past, including the amount received, purpose of the award, and date of the award.
Support letter from your supervisor
The letter of support from your supervisor is a very important part of the application. The letter does not need to be long, but the selection jury needs to verify that your supervisor strongly supports the proposed project. Photo Please include a photograph of yourself for the QCBS website as a separate file (.jpg or .bmp preferred).